Thursday, May 5, 2011

Ham Hock Hell

May 4, 2011

Sorry for the delay in getting this little morsel posted on Edible Sundays. This past weekend I went to Palo Cedro, California to visit my aunt Donna. Donna raised me from the age of 8 to 14 with a year break in the middle due to me being so dang naughty! It was a nice to hang out with Donna and Sharon, her attendant.

One of the things that shaped me into the man I am today was living with Donna and Alvin and the motor home traveling we did. We were either in the 30 foot Pace Arrow or the little Toyota Scat which looked a bit like a turtle with a disability. Remember, this was 1973 and I was just removed from my father’s home because of neglect. I had never experienced such peace and beauty in my life. To this day traveling is a priority in my life.

Donna was never a person who enjoyed cooking. She was a “hope it’s edible and if it’s not - eat it anyway” type of cook. They had a rule that I had to eat what was on my plate which is just fine as long as it tasted ok. Well . . . Donna made Ham Hock & Beans. I had never had them before and it smelled great. Donna filled my bowl. We held hands and said a silent grace. Jammed my spoon into the glistening beans and shoved into my mouth like a starving dog. “eeeeewwwwww . . . It’s SWEET!”. I nearly vomited all over our table. But the rule was I had to finish my plate. Ever since I have nurtured a hated for all things sweet that shouldn’t be! So, I promise, I will never make Duck a l’orange, Fish with a freakin’ fruit compote on top, suggest mint jelly on lamb, and never EVER use balsamic vinegar. Though, I will share all my kick-ass desserts (which should be sweet!).

I decided that I was going to make Donna and Sharon Dinner on Saturday night. I went to the Holiday Market and got all the fixings for Chicken & Dumplings, Apple Berry Pie, Fresh Baked Bread . . . wait . . . wait . . . wait, Donna has been using her gas oven as storage since she had a water heater nearly burn off her face in 1969. Funny how she developed an fear of fire. And, I’m sorry, but a toaster oven is not a proper place to bake a pie. Sara Lee cheese cake . . . here I come.

This was the best Chicken & Dumpling I have ever had; savory chicken stock with just the right balance of dumplings to chicken ratio. I had two bowls and secretly wanted to take the leftovers into the spare room closet and eat it with my hands in the dark. The dumplings had this sinfully rich-salty-slip across your tongue texture. Whew I’m drooling again.

Here my recipe:

Chicky Dumps

1 Whole Chicken (Rinsed no Giblets)
6 stalks of celery
1 onion, quartered
4 carrots
4 tbls sage
1 clove garlic
1 tbls salt
Pepper to taste
4 to 6 chicken bouillon cubes
3 tbls flour
2/3 cup Bisquick
2/3 cup milk

Place rinsed chicken, 2 stalks celery broken in half, 2 carrots broken in half, onion skin and all, garlic, sage, salt pepper in a large stock pot an fill with water about 1 ½ inches over the chicken. Bring to a boil. Simmer covered for 3-4 hours over low heat. I prefer 4 hours - it makes a rich-er yummy-er broth.

Place a colander in a large bowl and carefully pour the entire contents of the stock pot into the colander reserving all the stock. Set the colander goodies aside and let it cool. Return the stock to the pot. Add 4 bouillon cubes, 4 chopped celery stalks, and 2 chopped carrots. Pull all the meat from the goodies in the colander. Now if you have “cooked-carcass” issues have a friend do this for you! Rough chop the meat and add it to the stock. Bring to a boil and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.

Mix the Bisquick and milk in a bowl. The dough will be sticky. Bring your soup to a boil again. With two soup spoons, scoop out round balls of dough and drop them into the boiling soup. Mix the flour with ¼ cup water and pour it into the pot. This will thicken it up a bit. Let the pot of heaven cook over medium heat uncovered for 10. Resist stirring because the dumplings are fragile and will fall apart.

That’s it! Step away from the computer and EAT!

1 comment:

  1. Long live the flog!!

    Oh man oh man! I'd <3 to try this on Sunday. Yes, that's right...on Mother's Day. Cooking has to be the single biggest insecurity I have. I'd <3 to shower my family w/a delicious motherly meal of wholesomeness & comfort on the day that represents what most people have in their lives - a mother that cooks comfort...I want to do this for them. After all, Mark is playing 5 hrs of golf on Sunday so plenty of time to get this one right by the time he's home ;)

    I <3 your personal connection to this meal Chris. I have often heard about your aunt. I <3 knowing that she's a cook like me ;) so in celebration of all types of mothers on Sunday, I'll be thinking of the bond you have w/her.

    ReplyDelete