Monday, May 16, 2011

Robins Nest


On October 9, 1987 I was clean from alcohol and drugs for about 90 days. I was wearing this new found reality like new suit. I remember feeling so freaking indestructible! I was playing pool with my former using/drinking buddies in our old bar. I was enthusiastically telling my friends about God and how they needed that in their lives. One of them (the super cute one) said “what are you some sort of Christian now?”. I was hurt and angry about this assessment from my friend so I did the thing that made most sense; I ordered two shots of tequila and drank them down!

Then I thought, logically “WTF I might as well get some drugs” So, I called my besty druggie friend Robin from the pay phone in the bar. She said “Nope. I know you are trying to get sober and I can’t do that”. Okay this is weird because Robin NEVER said no to me. So I offered her half of whatever I paid for. Still “No”. “No” to free drugs?! Robin and I worked and “played” together since I was 17 years old. I must have really been a mess for her to want me to be sober so bad.

Thanks to Robin My sobriety date is October 10, 1987! She saved my life I am certain of that!

Zippy-ity-doo-da 24 years into the future (today, lol) and my dear girl Robin is dying from cancer. I just spent 5 days with her in her nest in Bloomington, Minnesota. I got to meet Noe (Tio), Georgy, Angelica Maria, Micky and her girlfriend and her beloved Ignacia. So much love! For the past 20 years Robin has had this family as her own. All the drugs of the past have been replaced with family drenched in love. So proud of her!

Ignacia cooked a wonderful meal the day of Georgys 7 year birthday party. She cooked corn on the cob, carnitas, chicken, beans, rice, and awesome salad with fresh berries, pork con chili, and chips! Maria made a kick ass dinosaur cake!

When I got home Levi and I went to Caputo’s and I bought 1 fresh black truffle ($399.00 per pound= $7.89 for one) and some supposedly spicy Italian sausage. So I cooked the sausage and made this pasta from heaven:

Pasta from Heaven for Two

1 cube butter, browned (1/4 cup)

1 Tbls finely chopped Shallot

1 fresh truffle finely grated

1/4 cup grated Parmesan

Spaghetti for two (al denti).

Boil spaghetti in salted water until cooked al denti (still firm – not soft).

Melt butter with the shallots in a small pan on low heat. Once melted the butter will foam up a bit, then subside. Watch carefully as lightly browned specks begin to form at the bottom of the pan. Add half of the grated truffle. Smell the butter; it should have a nutty aroma. Remove from heat and place on a cool surface to help stop the butter from cooking further and perhaps burning.

It's pretty easy to overcook browned butter and go from brown to burnt. If the butter starts to blacken, I suggest dumping it and starting over. (something I've had to do on occasion).

Place the spaghetti on a plate and sprinkle with parmesan and the remaining truffle. Then spoon the butter over the pasta-don’t be stingy! The flavors a subtle and light but ooooo my gosh! Yum!

Levi and I usually do this pasta with browned butter & chili flakes or fresh chopped parsley. And sometimes . . . I cook my spaghetti in water with about a ј cup of dried oregano to give it that earthy aroma! Crazy, I know!

Thank you Robin! I love you! Now fly away home!


2 comments:

  1. Chris it was so nice to meet you robin loves you so much and now i think i do too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, now I'm just going to cry. Chris this is beautiful & I know she would have loved it. Thank you for sharing her life, her friendship & many wonderful memories w/us all. I look forward to reading more of your culinary adventures. -Maria

    ReplyDelete